CD Projekt Red, developers of the critically acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, are largely known as a PC gaming developer. In fact, the first game in The Witcher series only saw the light of day on PC, despite an Xbox 360 version originally planned as well, and it wasn’t even until The Witcher 3 that a game in the series even released simultaneously on PC and consoles.
CD Projekt Red’s GoG digital distribution service further cements their status as primarily a PC gaming company, with the service really only rivaled by Steam. Considering CD Projekt Red’s penchant for PC gaming, one would assume that their fan base would consist mostly of PC gamers, and therefore, the majority of the sales for The Witcher 3 would’ve been for the PC version. As it turns out, that’s not the case.
In fact, the console versions of The Witcher 3 comprised 70% of the game’s sales, with the PC version representing the other 30%. And despite over half a million GoG sales for The Witcher 3, 75% of its sales were for the physical retail copy, with only 25% of sales from digital storefronts.
This data is surprising, but it makes sense. The PC is a single platform, whereas the PS4 and Xbox One are two separate platforms entirely, even though they are both home consoles. It could be possible that the PS4 had 35% of the console sales and the Xbox One had the other 35% of the console sales, which isn’t as significant of a leap from the 30% of sales on PC. We don’t know what the sales were for the PS4 and Xbox One versions independently, but we imagine that sales were probably close to even across all systems.
The Witcher 3‘s overall sales success should really come as no surprise, however. The game sold 4 million copies in just two weeks, and 6 million in its first six weeks on sale, largely thanks to its critical acclaim and CD Projekt Red’s community-oriented attitude.
Whereas many developers tend to irk gamers with their questionable DLC practices, CD Projekt Red offered Witcher 3 owners 16 weeks of free DLC on top of a game that’s already massive. This kind of dedication to their fans, almost unprecedented in the industry, has made CD Projekt Red one of the most beloved developers of recent years, and gamers can expect to get their money’s worth with their products.
In the meantime, the world of The Witcher 3 will be expanding even further with two huge expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine), which will assuredly make the game even more profitable for the developers. These expansions promise to bring significant additional value, with CD Projekt Red claiming that, cumulatively, the two expansions together could be larger than The Witcher 2.
Are you surprised by this detailed sales data for The Witcher 3? Did you buy the game on PC or consoles? Digitally or physically? Get at us in the comments, and let us know your thoughts on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is currently available for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
Source: WCCF Tech
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.