COLUMBUS (WFLA) — Doing laundry gets frustrating when you end up with stains and wrinkles after a day of chores. Selecting a cycle and soap is a start, but far from doing the trick on tricky situations. In fact, it can make matters worse — fading bright colors and shrinking expensive clothes.
Here’s a round-up of laundry hacks to help the following stains or problems:
- Keep brights bright: Try adding a teaspoon of salt to the wash.
- Hard towels: Baking soda and vinegar softens towels.
- Blood: Vinegar and hot water are a powerful combination against blood. So is hydrogen peroxide.
- Grass stains: Hydrogen peroxide kicks grass stains to the curb.
- Ink stains: Hair spray first, then hand-sanitizer. The alcohol in these products erases ink.
- Drying: To dry just a few items, toss a clean, dry towel in with the items in the dryer. It will help absorb excess water.
- Wrinkles: Don’t want to iron? Toss wrinkled item in the dryer for a few minutes, then hang up immediately to smooth out wrinkles.
- Shrinking: If the dryer shrinks your clothes, let the fibers expand in a solution of hair conditioner and warm water.
- Lipstick: Dabbing bread on lipstick stains will help lift it off the fabric. For stronger stains, try petroleum jelly.
What others are clicking on:
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.