Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter
About World Food Programme:
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda.
Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
The Information Technology Operations Officer manages the implementation of the Information and Communication Technology infrastructure supporting WFP operations in Uganda, ensuring that ICT systems conform to WFP corporate standards and are properly maintained.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and provide leadership to the IT Unit.
- Provide expert level advice to senior management in all aspects of IT and provide proactive and innovative approaches to IT service delivery as well as strategic and policy issues.
- Integrate ICT systems and ensure appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network (LAN/WAN) issues.
- The incumbent will design and manage the deployment of ICT systems.
- The jobholder will also maintain, upgrade or enhance existing systems including troubleshooting and providing continous user support including keeping stock reports of spare parts and equipment to support the repair and maintenance of ICT equipment.
- Develop and maintain appropriate ICT contingency capacity. Contribute to the preparation and regular update of contingency plans.
- Periodically monitor the management of risks and report on any actions taken. Ensure that all offices are always adequately equipped.
- Prepare operational plans, budgets and identify resource requirements in both steady-state and at the onset of emergency operations.
- Develop technical specifications needed for the procurement of ICT equipment and services in keeping with the organization rules and regulations.
- Keenly track and monitor ICT investments and recurrent costs, propose and implement methods to increase cost efficiency.
- The jobholder will identify and test new software and hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; install any technology upgrades as required.
- Will periodically be called upon to conduct business analysis and collect system requirements from business units and develop process work flows.
- Prepare ICT tender documents and carry out technical evaluation of bids and proposals received.
- Ensure effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximise possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of ICT.
- Negotiate for ICT services with local service providers.
- Work closely with colleagues in the ICT division to define corporate ICT training policies and programs including preparation of training modules and materials and ensure staff are appropriately trained.
- Mentor and supervise ICT staff as required.
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Head of Finance Administration.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Information Technology Operations Officer vacancy should:
- Hold an advanced University Degree in any of the following, electronic, electrical communications engineering, information technology, information systems, computer science or statistics with computing attained from a recognized institution Or a first degree with additional years of experience in any of the above fields.
- A minimum of six (6) years of post-graduate relevant work experience in the field of Information and Communication Technology.
- Working knowledge of RF technologies including VSAT technology is desirable.
- MCSE, ITIL and/or Cisco certification will be an added advantage.
- Advanced IP hands-on experience.
- Demonstrable competence in configuring switched and routed networks is mandatory.
- Has demonstrated designed and deployed complex integrated networks.
- Previous experience in the end to end management of complex IT projects.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of implementing and supporting Microsoft network operating systems and Microsoft Officeapplications suite.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English is essential.
- Exhibits deep technical knowledge in IT and is able to actively transfer knowledge to strengthen the skill base in the Unit.
- Analyzes and evaluates operational scenarios to determine the most optimal way forward.
- Effectively manages own work related to multiple tasks or activities.
- Recognizes opportunities or threats and acts on them with the agreement of supervisor. Responds quickly to emergencies with a solution or a decision.
- Evaluates own strengths and developmental needs and modifies behaviour based on feedback or self analysis.
- Works productively with broad range of team members (e.g., all job profiles, levels), actively participate in and supports team decisions, openly shares knowledge, expertise or experience with team members.
- Takes constructive actions to resolve team conflict.
- Gives constructive feedback to team members.
- Actively seeks information and opinions of client to understand their requests and to identify their needs and expectations.
- Meets deadlines for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks.
- Explains the rationale for decisions/outcomes to the client.
- Solicits ongoing feedback from client.
- Systematically extracts pertinent information from relevant sources.
- Conducts in-depth analysis on issues and problems.
- Identifies multiple causes of a problem and relationships among the causes.
- Presents information clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Listens to and shows understanding of the ideas and views of others.
- Adapts levels of language and/or complexity of content to audience.
- Shares information and knowledge with colleagues, staff and supervisors.
- Communicates respectfully with all individuals regardless of gender, national and cultural backgrounds.
How to apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme to submit their applications online via this link.
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
To be considered for this vacancy, you must complete Step 1 and 2.
Deadline for submission is 5th June 2016.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.