Facebook is beta-testing Facebook Games Arcade, a desktop application that enables users to play games on its platform without accessing Facebook.com via a web browser, and promising a “faster, better gaming experience.”
The screenshots below are from Windows 10, the operating system for which the social network recently released stand-alone apps for Facebook and Messenger. A Facebook spokesman said in an email to SocialTimes that the open beta has been rolled out in all countries, solely on Windows, and added:
Facebook Games Arcade is still very early in development, and it is a dedicated, immersive experience we are building solely for gamers. It is a new way for people to easily discover new games and easily access them on desktop. We will continue to test and make improvements based on performance and feedback.
A prompt to download the beta version of Facebook Games Arcade appeared in the right-hand column during game play, and after clicking it and downloading and running an .EXE file, the stand-alone app launched.
Facebook Games Arcade features:
- A large, rotating banner for single selected games across the top.
- My Games, or games on the Facebook platform that the user already plays. The games’ appearances and game play are identical to when they are accessed via Facebook.com.
- A recommended games row.
- Rows that suggest games based on games already played by the user, such as, “Because You Play Words With Friends.”
- More game suggestions by category, including casual games, trivia and word games, bingo games, slots games, role-playing games, action games, table games, poker and table games, match three games, puzzle games, adventure games, builder games, casino games, strategy games, simulation games, card battle games, card games, sports games and board games.
The prompt that appears while the .EXE file is downloaded describes Facebook Games Arcade as follows:
- Built for games: Facebook Games Arcade is a faster, better gaming experience.
- Create shortcuts: Add shortcuts for your favorite games to your desktop and start menu.
- Keep your settings: Downloading Facebook Games Arcade won’t change your app settings.
Readers: Would you like to see Facebook Games Arcade become available to everyone?
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.